Preschool Story Times are offered seasonally 3 times a year during the Fall, Winter and Spring. Story times promote the early literacy skills that children from birth to age 5 need for reading and school readiness by encouraging them to talk, sing, read, write and play.
In-Person Registration is conducted two weeks prior to programs starting. Check the Calendar of Events for dates and details on upcoming sessions.
Early literacy programs are designed to be age appropriate for children from birth to age 5 and offer an opportunity for children to develop social skills, practice listening skills, discover age appropriate stories, and be introduced to the Library. The programs that are conducted at the MAIN Library and require registration are:
- Lapsit: for babies from birth to 18 months with a parent or caregiver. Program is approximately 30 minutes of rhymes, songs, fingerplays and books, plus socialization time.
- Toddler Time: for children 18 to 36 months with a parent or caregiver. Program is approximately 1 hour of story time and free play with educational toys. Younger siblings are welcome.
- Play & Learn Together: for children from 18 to 36 months with a parent or caregiver. Ideal for those attending toddler age programs for the first time. Program is approximately 1 hour of story time and free play with educational toys, plus participation by local professionals who are knowledgeable about child development. For this program, the Library partners with Early Intervention of Orange County Department of Health.
- Preschool Story Time: for children ages 3-5 with a parent or caregiver. Program is approximately 40 minutes of stories, songs, rhymes, flannelboard stories, movement and a creative activity.
Our story time offered at the TOWN Branch that does not require registration is:
- Sprouts & Shoots: stories are selected for children ages 3-5 with a parent or caregiver; all ages welcome! Program is approximately 35 minutes of books, songs, rhymes, and flannelboard stories, with time for play and socialization afterward.
Check the calendar for days and times for these programs.